Published and Accepted Work
"How Much Do Consumers Value Fuel Economy and Performance? Evidence from Technology Adoption", with Benjamin Leard and Joshua Linn, RFF Report, September 2020, forthcoming, Review of Economics and Statistics
- Summary: Evaluating consumer welfare of fuel economy standards needs to consider the welfare cost of forgone performance increases. We find undervaluation of fuel cost savings and high valuation of performance, suggesting approximately zero net private consumer benefit from tightened standards since 2012.
- Accepted Version, [PDF]; RFF Report Version, [PDF]; RFF Blog Post, [Link]; RFF Resource Article, [Link]
"The Effects of Fuel Prices and Vehicle Sales on Fuel-Saving Technology Adoption in Passenger Vehicles", with Thomas Klier and Joshua Linn, Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 29(3), 2020: 543-578
- Summary: We document two channels that drive fuel-saving technology adoption, fuel prices and sales. An increase in gas price drives carmakers to improve technology for low-fuel-economy vehicles directly as it raises WTP for fuel savings more for these vehicles. In contrast, it drives carmakers to improve technology for high-fuel-economy vehicles indirectly as it increases the sales disproportionately more for those vehicles.
- Published version, [Link]; Latest version, January 2020, [PDF]; RFF Discussion Paper DP-16-26-REV Version [Link]; Previous Titled "The Effects of Fuel Costs and Market Size on Fuel-Saving Technology Adoption: Direct and Indirect Effects" and "The Effect of Market Size on Fuel-Saving Technology Adoption in Passenger Vehicles"
"The Effect of Fuel Price Changes on Fleet Demand for New Vehicle Fuel Economy", with Benjamin Leard and Virginia McConnell, The Journal of Industrial Economics 67, no. 1, 2019: 127-159
- Summary: Private companies and government agencies, or “fleet” buyers, represent a large share of new vehicle demand in the US. We find them respond to fuel price variation similar to household buyers.
- Published version, [Link]; Latest version, November 2018, [PDF]; RFF Discussion Paper DP-17-25 Version, [Link]; RFF Resource Article, [Link]
[New]: "Regulatory Spillover and Climate Co-benefit: Evidence from New Source Review Lawsuits", with Hei-Sing Ron Chan, [PDF], April 2021, R&R Resubmitted
"Knowledge Capital, Technology Adoption, and Environmental Policies: Evidence from the US Automobile Industry", February 2016, [PDF]
Selected Work in Progress
"The Effect of Adopting NextGen Air Transportation System (NextGen) on Air Travel Performance", with Jessica Chu, May 2019